DAVID WOOD, M.D.
Diabetes Mellitus is a disease in which the endocrine portion of the pancreas (Beta cells) fails to secrete sufficient amounts of insulin. Insulin is the hormone responsible for the transport of glucose (blood sugar) into the cells where it is utilized for energy or stored in the liver as glycogen. As a result of this abnormal insulin secretion, excessibly high levels of glucose are noted in the blood. Inability to effectively use or store glucose results in weight loss and fatigue. Associated with diabetes mellitus is dysfunctional lipid breakdown and accelerated degeneration of small blood vessels.
Diabetes mellitus is classified in two types. Type 1, insulin dependent, is the more severe. it appears usually before the age of 35, and commonly between ages 10 and 16. It is theorized that Type 1 is the result of an immune response following a viral infection in which the insulin-secreting part of the pancreas is attacked and destroyed. Insulin production immediately stops which then accounts for the sudden onset associated with this type.
Type 2 is non-insulin dependent. It is seen usually after the age of 40 and has a gradual onset. The pancreas still produces insulin but does not meet the body's requirements and needs. This type is commonly treated by dietary control weight loss, and, if necessary, oral medicines. This patient should be referred to a specialist for further evaluation.
The most common symptoms of diabetes mellitus are excessive thirst (polydypsia). excessive urination (polyuria). weight loss, and excessive fatigue.
The eyes, kidneys, skin, nervous system, and circulatory system may be affected. Infections are common. Atherosclerosis often develops.
Supplying the diabetic with certain key nutrients has been shown to improve blood sugar control, as well as help prevent or even improve many of the major diabetic complications, such as disease of the retina, heart disease, kidney disease, diabetic cataracts and nerve disease.
HERBS & NUTRIENTS HELPFUL IN TREATING DIABETES:
Gymnema sylvestre: A plant native to the tropical forests of India. Recent scientific investigation has upheld its effectiveness in both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. Gymnema extract is without side effects and exerts its blood sugar-lowering effects only in cases of diabetes.
Chromium: Controls hazardous insulin: Chromium increases the power of insulin to process sugar, so you need less insulin to do the job and blood levels drop. If chromium is low, you need about ten times more insulin to process sugar. Thus, with adequate chromium, much less insulin circulates in the blood to attack artery walls, precipitating atherosclerosis and possibly plunging you into adult-onset Type 2 diabetes.
Vanadium: Vanadium is a trace element like chromium or zinc, and is essential for cellular activity. In certain doses, the vanadyl sulfate form of vanadium works like an oral insulin. Studies at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver demonstrated that in diabetic animals, a 3-week treatment with vanadyl sulfate eliminated the diabetic condition. Remarkably, 13 weeks after the vanadyl sulfate was stopped, and after most of the mineral had been excreted by the body, the diabetes did not come back. The mineral, once into the system, appears to allow the body to clear the blood of glucose with very little insulin.
Diet: Follow a diabetic diet (zone-balanced: 40% carbohydrate, 30% protein, and 30% fat per meal) Exercise 4-5 days per week and above all, monitor your blood sugar levels. This program will reduce your insulin needs and help control your blood sugar in a more normal range.
DOCTOR'S NOTE: Because diabetes is a serious disease, please be advised that you should consult your physician before undertaking any new treatments. Doctor Wood's staff is available to answer your questions about any of these nutrients, herbs & supplements.
God Bless You and Thank You For Watching Doctor to Doctor. We Hope These Show Notes Are A Blessing To You!
We are also sending some other information you might enjoy or wish to pass along
BUY NOW: »
Immunition NSC-GOLD Multiple Vitamin and Mineral Formula
Vitrin 29 essential vitamins and minerals, plus antioxidants
Special Combination Kit Olive Leaf Extract & Aloe Vera Caps
Helen Pensanti M.D.
Research Info Archives
- 3 Major Health Problems
- 5 Ways to Lose Body Fat
- 7 Edible Weeds
- 7 Steps to Healing
- 10 Foods You Should NEVER EAT!!
- 10 Things You Must Do To Beat Breast Cancer Now
- 10 Ways to Increase Energy
- Age Spots
- Alzheimer's Prevention Plan
- Aloe Vera Freeze Dried Capsules and AloeVera Liquid Concentrate
- Anti-Aging Tips
- Anxiety and Stress
- Arteries Clean
- Baby Boomers and Alzheimer’s Disease
- Bacteria and Viral Infections
- Bananas are healthy!
- Beating Breast Cancer with Nutrition
- Belly Fat
- Beta Glucan
- Beauty of Mathematics
- Bio-Identical VS Synthetic Hormones
- Bladder Infection Help - Parsley Tea
- Blood Clots
- Breast Cancer Inducing Chemicals
- Breast Cancer Profile
- Breast Cancer and Synthetic Hormones
- Buying and Preparing Fresh Fish
- Cancer Prevention Tips - Stay Cancer Proof
- Cancer Protection List - Household Items to Avoid
- Chelation Therapy
- Clustered Water/Healthy Immune System
- Cold Sores
- Cortisol and Weight Loss
- Calories and Calore Counting
- Dark Spots On Bananas - Anti Cancer
- Date Rape Drug Information - GHB
- Dental Problems
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Diabetes Travel Tips
- Diseases Do Not Just Happen
- Dr Helen's 1200 Calorie Diet to lose 45 pounds in 3 months
- Eating Genetically Modified Fruits
- Eliminate "White Poison" From Your Diet
- Estrogen Found in Foods/Herbs/Drugs/Chemicals
- Estrogen Inhibiting Foods
- Fatigue and Loss of Energy
- Five Keys to Restoration
- Food Toxins
- Foot Health
- General Question About Natural Hormones
- Hair growth in unwanted places
- Hair Loss
- Headache Check Lists - Headache Symptoms and Headache Causes
- Healing properties of garlic and onions
- Healing / Water Clusters
- Health Updates
- Healthly Foods Chart for Bone Health
- Healthly Foods Chart
- Healthy Food List
- Healthy Living Recipe Options
- Heart Disease - #1 Cause of Death In America
- Heart Disease and Women - Estrogen does not benefit the heart.
- High Blood Pressure - Hypertension
- Highlights from Dr Abraham's interview at the 6th Annual Anti-Aging Conference
- Holiday Meals
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) linked to Hearing Loss
- Hormone Studies
- Inflammation Reduction
- Insomnia Information
- Keeping Your Liver Healthy
- Laser Vision Correction
- LeAine Dehmer Clinical Skincare Specialist Answers Your Questions
- Long Life and Aging
- Lose 45 Pounds In 3 Months
- Mamograms - Infrared Thermography
- Managing Lactose Intolerance
- Mascular Degeneration
- Men and Progesterone
- Men's Prostate Health
- Microbes in an overweight body are more efficient at extracting calories from food.
- Mind Boosters
- Natural Cancer Treatments
- Natural Progesterone and Blood Pressure/Inflammmation
- Non Toxic Hair Dyes
- Olive Leaf Extract
- Organic Dark Unprocessed Chocolate
- Osteoarthritis and Musculoskeletal Health
- Osteoporosis Prevention
- Osteoporosis - Softening of the Bones
- Overcoming Anxiety and Depression without Drugs!
- Parasitic Infections
- Parkinson's Desease
- Prostate Cancer & PC Spes
- Purify your Home without Poisons Chemicals
- Red Clover; Health Benefits of Isoflavones
- Phosphatidylserine (PS)
- Potassium In The News
- Preserving Your Sight
- Progesterone - Calming Effects
- Progesterone and Breast Cancer Study
- Progesterone, can we use that name?
- Progesterone, does it build up in your fat cells?
- Progestin VS Natural Progesterone
- Phyto-Progesterone is now called Diosgenin
- Recommended Supplements for Anti-Aging
- Seasonal Affective Disorder
- Seasonal Allergies
- Secret Remedies
- Shaping Children's Eating Habits
- Signs of Estrogen Deficiency
- Signs of Estrogen Excess
- Signs of Progesterone Excess
- Sinus Problems
- Six Types of Mothers
- Soy Foods May Protect the Body from Cancer
- Symptoms of Low Thyroid
- Synthetic Hormones and Breast Cancer
- Testosterone - how women can increase or decrease Testosterone Levels
- Thinning Hair
- Tips for Traveler's Health
- Top Ten Reasons to Get Off Synthetic Hormones
- Toxic Shampoos
- Type II Diabetes - Insulin Resistance
- Vaginal Dryness - High In Oxalate Foods to Avoid
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B
- Vitamin Bible and Healthy Tips
- Vitamin D - emphasizing the importance of supplementing with Vitamin D
- Vitamin E - may provide women with protection from breast cancer
- Vitamin K
- Ways to fit fiber in your diet
- Weight Loss
- Wellness Plan
- West Nile Virus
- What to look for in a Biological Dentist
- Why Natural Progesterone is better than Synthetic
- Women and Heart Disease
- Word... Water... Walk...
- Wyeth Pharmaceutical lies in study