Our feet are some of the most long suffering parts of our bodies. They support hundreds of pounds--double your body weight when you walk and up to five times when you jump! They carry you around an average of 3,000 steps a day, and on top of all that they are often jammed into tight, ill-fitting shoes! So it should be no surprise that 3 out of 4 people have some kind of foot problem.
In this report we are going to review:
Five of the most common foot problems:
- PLANTAR FASCITIS
Plantar fascitis is the inflammation of the plantar fascia, which is a band of connective tissue that stretches along the bottom of the foot from the heel to the toes. This part of the foot is under pressure daily, and the pressure can be exacerbated by injury, repetitive pounding from running, obesity, standing for long periods of time, and unusually high arches or flat feet (short or long plantar fascia.) When the plantar fascia is overstretched, minute tears develop usually in the area where the fascia inserts into the heel bone. These are accompanied by inflammation and tissue degeneration. An aching sensation or bruised feeling in your foot often develops.
Doctors treat plantar fascitis with steroid injections or surgery (cutting the fascia to relieve pressure.) Reports indicate that 1 in 4 patients are told they need surgery. But experts estimate that only 1 in 100 actually NEEDS surgery. A conservative self treatment course works well for most people.
Stretching your way to pain relief can be very effective. Even before you get out of bed in the morning, sit up, pull your flexed feet toward you until you feel a good stretch in your Achilles tendon and calves. Hold for 30 seconds, relax and repeat two more times.
Another good stretch is to stand on a bottom stair and keep toes and balls of feet on the edge while you drop your heel to the stair below. Or rub your bare feet over a golf ball or unopened 12 oz. can. If you do these for 3 minutes twice daily this should help a lot.
If you are still in a lot of pain, your doctor would probably prescribe Nsaid, which can be effective but can have the side effect of gastro-intestinal pain or liver or kidney damage. Instead try some natural anti-inflammatories, like feverfew, curcumin, white willow or bromelain. Icing your feet for 15-20 minutes after a long day is also helpful.
But the most enduring treatment is to get well-fitting, cushioned shoes with good arch support. There are also devices that can be placed in shoes to increase support, usually found in drug stores or custom made by chiropractors or podiatrists.
Most people using these techniques will find rapid relief. But don’t be afraid to see a professional if your pain persists for a long period of time.
- ONYCHOMYCOSIS This is a fancy term for a toenail fungal infection, from which 1 in 7 Americans suffer. This usually manifests itself in thickened, yellowed toenails. Anti-fungal drugs have been linked to liver damage, so try natural solutions containing tea tree oil. Use twice daily.
- ATHLETE’S FOOT
This common problem is caused by a ringworm fungus. Make sure you keep your feet clean and dry, change your socks during the day and freely use
powders and sprays found in drugstores. These are usually very effective.
- PLANTAR WARTS
These warts, found on the foot, are notoriously stubborn. They can be burned, frozen, or cut, but first try salicylic acid. This works for 75%
of people. The commonly purchased item “Compound W” is a salicylic acid product. Or you could dissolve a regular aspirin with a small
drop of water and apply to the wart. Cover it with a bandage and repeat twice daily until you see the desired effect.
Corns are simply thick, dead skin. If the skin is on your soles they are called calluses, if they are on your toes they are called corns. Beware
of caustic products that dissolve corns, especially if you are diabetic. Instead, chip away at them gradually with a pumice stone or file after
bathing. At bedtime, soak your feet in warm water for 10-15 minutes, then place a piece of fresh pineapple peel or a slice of lemon with the
inside touching the corn on your feet and secure in place with first aid tape. Remove in the morning and repeat for several more nights as needed.
So there you have it, some good home remedies for foot care. Here’s wishing you good foot health, naturally!
Helen Pensanti M.D.
Research Info Archives
- 3 Major Health Problems
- 5 Ways to Lose Body Fat
- 7 Edible Weeds
- 7 Steps to Healing
- 10 Foods You Should NEVER EAT!!
- 10 Things You Must Do To Beat Breast Cancer Now
- 10 Ways to Increase Energy
- Age Spots
- Alzheimer's Prevention Plan
- Aloe Vera Freeze Dried Capsules and AloeVera Liquid Concentrate
- Anti-Aging Tips
- Anxiety and Stress
- Arteries Clean
- Baby Boomers and Alzheimer’s Disease
- Bacteria and Viral Infections
- Bananas are healthy!
- Beating Breast Cancer with Nutrition
- Belly Fat
- Beta Glucan
- Beauty of Mathematics
- Bio-Identical VS Synthetic Hormones
- Bladder Infection Help - Parsley Tea
- Blood Clots
- Breast Cancer Inducing Chemicals
- Breast Cancer Profile
- Breast Cancer and Synthetic Hormones
- Buying and Preparing Fresh Fish
- Cancer Prevention Tips - Stay Cancer Proof
- Cancer Protection List - Household Items to Avoid
- Chelation Therapy
- Clustered Water/Healthy Immune System
- Cold Sores
- Cortisol and Weight Loss
- Calories and Calore Counting
- Dark Spots On Bananas - Anti Cancer
- Date Rape Drug Information - GHB
- Dental Problems
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Diabetes Travel Tips
- Diseases Do Not Just Happen
- Dr Helen's 1200 Calorie Diet to lose 45 pounds in 3 months
- Eating Genetically Modified Fruits
- Eliminate "White Poison" From Your Diet
- Estrogen Found in Foods/Herbs/Drugs/Chemicals
- Estrogen Inhibiting Foods
- Fatigue and Loss of Energy
- Five Keys to Restoration
- Food Toxins
- Foot Health
- General Question About Natural Hormones
- Hair growth in unwanted places
- Hair Loss
- Headache Check Lists - Headache Symptoms and Headache Causes
- Healing properties of garlic and onions
- Healing / Water Clusters
- Health Updates
- Healthly Foods Chart for Bone Health
- Healthly Foods Chart
- Healthy Food List
- Healthy Living Recipe Options
- Heart Disease - #1 Cause of Death In America
- Heart Disease and Women - Estrogen does not benefit the heart.
- High Blood Pressure - Hypertension
- Highlights from Dr Abraham's interview at the 6th Annual Anti-Aging Conference
- Holiday Meals
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) linked to Hearing Loss
- Hormone Studies
- Inflammation Reduction
- Insomnia Information
- Keeping Your Liver Healthy
- Laser Vision Correction
- LeAine Dehmer Clinical Skincare Specialist Answers Your Questions
- Long Life and Aging
- Lose 45 Pounds In 3 Months
- Mamograms - Infrared Thermography
- Managing Lactose Intolerance
- Mascular Degeneration
- Men and Progesterone
- Men's Prostate Health
- Microbes in an overweight body are more efficient at extracting calories from food.
- Mind Boosters
- Natural Cancer Treatments
- Natural Progesterone and Blood Pressure/Inflammmation
- Non Toxic Hair Dyes
- Olive Leaf Extract
- Organic Dark Unprocessed Chocolate
- Osteoarthritis and Musculoskeletal Health
- Osteoporosis Prevention
- Osteoporosis - Softening of the Bones
- Overcoming Anxiety and Depression without Drugs!
- Parasitic Infections
- Parkinson's Desease
- Prostate Cancer & PC Spes
- Purify your Home without Poisons Chemicals
- Red Clover; Health Benefits of Isoflavones
- Phosphatidylserine (PS)
- Potassium In The News
- Preserving Your Sight
- Progesterone - Calming Effects
- Progesterone and Breast Cancer Study
- Progesterone, can we use that name?
- Progesterone, does it build up in your fat cells?
- Progestin VS Natural Progesterone
- Phyto-Progesterone is now called Diosgenin
- Recommended Supplements for Anti-Aging
- Seasonal Affective Disorder
- Seasonal Allergies
- Secret Remedies
- Shaping Children's Eating Habits
- Signs of Estrogen Deficiency
- Signs of Estrogen Excess
- Signs of Progesterone Excess
- Sinus Problems
- Six Types of Mothers
- Soy Foods May Protect the Body from Cancer
- Symptoms of Low Thyroid
- Synthetic Hormones and Breast Cancer
- Testosterone - how women can increase or decrease Testosterone Levels
- Thinning Hair
- Tips for Traveler's Health
- Top Ten Reasons to Get Off Synthetic Hormones
- Toxic Shampoos
- Type II Diabetes - Insulin Resistance
- Vaginal Dryness - High In Oxalate Foods to Avoid
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B
- Vitamin Bible and Healthy Tips
- Vitamin D - emphasizing the importance of supplementing with Vitamin D
- Vitamin E - may provide women with protection from breast cancer
- Vitamin K
- Ways to fit fiber in your diet
- Weight Loss
- Wellness Plan
- West Nile Virus
- What to look for in a Biological Dentist
- Why Natural Progesterone is better than Synthetic
- Women and Heart Disease
- Word... Water... Walk...
- Wyeth Pharmaceutical lies in study